Welcome to my Blog :)

Thank you for your kindness, compassion, and most importantly your support throughout this difficult journey. Your physical presence wasn't necessarily what we needed; your love, strength and caring was.

IN MOM'S MEMORY, to those of you who sponsored me for the Investor's Group Memory Walk...I walked 5kms on 18 June 2011 in the pouring rain, and cold weather. We were soaked and covered in mud. I raised $1176 to help THEM find a cure BEFORE WE REACH OUR GOLDEN YEARS. To find out if we were fortunate enough to reach our goal this year, go to:

www.alzheimer.ab.ca to check out the numbers.

Congratulations to all who participated in support of those who can no longer do so themselves. This disease could affect all of us at one point of our lives or another. The next time someone approaches you, wondering if you'll sponsor them, consider saying yes because it could be YOU or someone you love facing this devastating disease. Don't wait until it's too late.

Saturday, May 14, 2011

A Fairly Good Day

Mom had a fairly good day today...she was a wee bit tired when I got there but we went for a bit of a walk (her in a wheelchair) to the main area where the leather sofas are and I put her feet up on the sofa and rubbed her legs.  They were a tiny bit swollen today and she said it felt good to have someone rub them.

Then after we sat there for about 20 minutes, we decided to take a walk and look at the chicken fingers, er, I mean the chicks...she definitely loves those little critters!!!  When she was taken into the dining room at lunch time, she exclaimed to the nurse, "They're soooo cute!!!"  And again, when she and I were sitting there, she repeated the same thing to me.  We chatted there for a while, too...then the snack girl came around and we decided we'd like a cup of tea and the two of us decided we were going to read a book neither of us have read before.  So, every day I go to see Mom, we'll read a chapter or two - depending on how much time we have.  I'll read the book aloud and then we can both enjoy it together.  She thought that would be a fabulous idea!!!  She's quite looking forward to our next chapter!  Me too!!!  This time, we're reading 206 Bones by Kathy Reichs.  I hope we can finish it before she moves.  :)  Maybe it would behove me to BUY a book neither of us have read so that way it wouldn't matter WHERE she was, we could enjoy it at any time!

Anyway, while we were reading, Dave showed up.  I looked up from the book, said hi to Dave and Mom exclaimed, "HI, sweetheart!!!"  Seems she's got no difficulty remembering people, anyway.  This is definitely a good thing.  I sure hope this is a sign she's regaining some of her memory.  There was a point where she wasn't remembering my name OR Jason's name...and considering we're the two that visit so frequently, that just wasn't a good sign...especially MY name, as I'm there pretty much daily!  Now, she calls out for me if I'm behind her or if she can't see me while I'm visiting.  That's a good thing, too.  Whew!  Let's hope that continues.  Once again, I guess only time will tell.  Some of her sentences are clear as a bell...others are just "word salad" and I'm not sure if that will change.  Again, time...

Anyway, I won't be up to see her tomorrow...I have a prior commitment, so Jay is heading up to see Nana and I will ask him for an update so I can post an update for you.  Have a great night...hugs & hearts, and thanks for stopping by...
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment