Welcome to my Blog :)

Thank you for your kindness, compassion, and most importantly your support throughout this difficult journey. Your physical presence wasn't necessarily what we needed; your love, strength and caring was.

IN MOM'S MEMORY, to those of you who sponsored me for the Investor's Group Memory Walk...I walked 5kms on 18 June 2011 in the pouring rain, and cold weather. We were soaked and covered in mud. I raised $1176 to help THEM find a cure BEFORE WE REACH OUR GOLDEN YEARS. To find out if we were fortunate enough to reach our goal this year, go to:

www.alzheimer.ab.ca to check out the numbers.

Congratulations to all who participated in support of those who can no longer do so themselves. This disease could affect all of us at one point of our lives or another. The next time someone approaches you, wondering if you'll sponsor them, consider saying yes because it could be YOU or someone you love facing this devastating disease. Don't wait until it's too late.

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Not Such a Good Day

Hey,

Today, Brenda was up again with Krystal and her boyfriend Beau.  We were clearing out the Rutherford and getting things ready for storage or to take to Mom where she is now.  B & the kids had a few minutes to run up to see Mom before they headed south so we took advantage of the time.  Sadly, Mom wasn't having a very good day.  She didn't have her teeth in and wasn't wearing her glasses.  It's kind of sad to see her like that because she's always been so very concerned about her appearance.  And of course, it bothered me.  She was not very coherent today, either.  However, she did say hello (sort of) to Beau before I got her teeth into her.  I think what it is with Mom is that she doesn't like having her dentures dirty and after a few days of not having them cleaned, she gets fed up with the build-up and just takes them out!  Once I soak them and give them a good brushing, she seems to be just fine with them.  I can't understand why the staff won't soak them for her - DAILY.  Oh well, I think I'm going to have to write this stuff down and when we have our little meeting after Mom's been there for six weeks, I can air my grievances then.  And I'm beginning to have a few!!!

Anyway, B, Krystal and I took Mom for a walk after Beau went outside for a bit of fresh air.  We were sitting in the main foyer by the fire and I have no idea what happened but we were sitting there and Mom was just staring at Krystal.  She just couldn't take her eyes off of her.  It was so very weird.  I asked Mom what was going on and she didn't have anything to say.  After a while, I asked her again and had to repeat myself over and over.  Finally, I said, "Darlene!"  And she answered, "WHAT?"  I said, "That's your Krystal!!!"  She replies, "Bullshit!"  LMAO  I guess Krystal's looks have changed so much that Mom was having trouble recognising her.  What a hoot. 

Anyway, after B & the kids left, I took Mom back to her wing for supper and she kept telling me she was sorry.  When I asked her why she was sorry, she kept telling me she was sorry for Krystal.  The only thing I can figure is that she's sorry she didn't recognise Krys.

Mom sure wasn't feeling well today, though.  I could tell.  She was quite pale and didn't really have much energy.  It truly wasn't a great day for her.  It was another day where I left her feeling so very sad and so very lonely for my mama.  I really don't like days like this and still wonder sometimes if I've chosen to do the right thing.  When she has good days, I think I'm right in giving her that fighting chance because so many medical professionals say they've seen people bounce back from a thyroid episode like this before...but it takes time.  But when she's having a day like today, I hear those damn words echoing in my head...you should just let nature take its course...the one thing I do know for sure is that on days like this, my heart hurts.  I guess all I can hope for is that tomorrow will be a better day.

Thanks for stopping by...

1 comment:

  1. We had fun visiting Mom. She shouldn't be sorry for not recognising Krystal. She changes so much who the hell can keep up!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete