Welcome to my Blog :)

Thank you for your kindness, compassion, and most importantly your support throughout this difficult journey. Your physical presence wasn't necessarily what we needed; your love, strength and caring was.

IN MOM'S MEMORY, to those of you who sponsored me for the Investor's Group Memory Walk...I walked 5kms on 18 June 2011 in the pouring rain, and cold weather. We were soaked and covered in mud. I raised $1176 to help THEM find a cure BEFORE WE REACH OUR GOLDEN YEARS. To find out if we were fortunate enough to reach our goal this year, go to:

www.alzheimer.ab.ca to check out the numbers.

Congratulations to all who participated in support of those who can no longer do so themselves. This disease could affect all of us at one point of our lives or another. The next time someone approaches you, wondering if you'll sponsor them, consider saying yes because it could be YOU or someone you love facing this devastating disease. Don't wait until it's too late.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

A MUCH Better Day :)

Mom had a much better day yesterday (sorry I didn't post last night).  She was transferred to a transition unit while we wait for a place to open in her new, permanent home.  She was awake, alert, smiling, laughing, sitting up straight, chatty and having "fun" when I arrived to see her at the transition unit yesterday.  I was shocked after seeing her the past few days.  No sleepyhead for her!!!

We chatted for quite a while, I unpacked all of her things, put them away in drawers or in the bathroom and got her out of bed.  She had to use the bathroom...which was a coup for her!  In her temporary "home" she has to get up out of bed, get washed up, brush her teeth, get dressed and freshen up BEFORE breakfast.  She then goes to the main dining room for breakfast.  Then she can return to her room for a rest if she needs it.  They'll get her up and moving once again during the morning, then she'll be up and moving again for lunch.  She can return to her room for a rest period if she needs it again in the afternoon and then she gets up and moving around again once more in the afternoon.  THEN, then get her up and going again for supper.  Then she can return to her room for the evening if she wishes to watch TV or rest if she chooses.  They have daily activities planned for the residents to participate in, and encourage all of them to attend.  I think she's going to be far happier in the transition unit. 

I checked out yet another extended care facility yesterday.  It was nice, but not quite as nice as the first one.  Although, this place also had lots of attendants and lots of activities planned for the residents.  Once again, I have to wait until we find out where she ends up getting placed.  She's on a wait-list and gets placed wherever they find a room for her.  If I'm not happy where she ends up, I'll put in a request to have her moved.  Although, I don't like the idea of continually moving her.  However, she certainly didn't suffer the effects of being moved yesterday.  In fact, she seemed to have improved...this time.  Dave saw her for the first time in quite a while and thought she looked really good.  She had huge smiles for him and was ever so delighted to see him.  That's always a fantastic sign, too!!!

We have to take this journey one day at a time...yesterday was a good day...with any luck today will be a good day...and tomorrow the same.  She needs to be challenged, I think...and this is the way to do it.

Until I post again, thanks for stopping by... xo

No comments:

Post a Comment