Well, this wasn't a very good day...just didn't seem like Mom was progressing at all today. Maybe she just had a bad day. We all have them, so I suppose it's okay for Mom to have one every now and then, too. However, I get disheartened when Mom has a bad day.
She slept through my visit, with the exception of about three minutes while I tickled her trying to wake her up. Didn't work very well :(
I toured an extended care facility today. I wanted to see just what they had to offer. In essence, it's exactly like the Rutherford; with the exception that it has hospital beds instead of personal beds and there are more nurses. I'm touring another one tomorrow afternoon and have yet another one to see on 11 May. In the meantime, I got a phone call this afternoon just as I was leaving the Citadel, that Mom's likely going to be transferred to a transition unit some time this week. That could be good and bad...good for her in that she'll get a bit more attention regarding physical therapy, etc., the bad for her in that, she's going to be moved again...which will cause her more confusion. That's not always a good thing for people with Alzheimer's...I sure hope it doesn't affect her too much.
I found I was incredibly sad today...I don't know if it was because of the tour or whether I've just been missing Dad or I'm a bit disheartened about Mom. Perhaps it was a combination of the three. The tears came very easily today and very often. Today was not a good day for me.
The one thing the Social Worker at the Citadel told me was that, should Mom be placed there, AFTER she's settled and happy, the Social Worker doesn't want to see me around there for a while...she wants me to "go away"...hahahaha I told her I wasn't going anywhere. She said she didn't mean to literally go away...simply, that she was going to ensure that I took some "time off" because historically the "position" of care partner falls to one child regardless of whether there's a geographical distance or not, and that one child tends to need a great deal of TLC...HA, I told her I cared for Dad, too! She nearly had chickens on the spot...lol She told me she didn't want to see me!!! HA, I told her! I'm always going to be involved in Mom's care. She was happy to know that, but she wanted to ensure I was taken care of FIRST, because if I'm not taken care of, I'm no good to Mom...She told me Mom would be safe and well cared for. I sure do hope so. It was so sweet that a virtual stranger was so compelled to feel such compassion toward me. Oh, by the way, the Citadel was beautiful - well cared for, friendly, clean, lots of activities...and all residents are encouraged to attend, regardless of their "condition"...I found that a wonderful note to leave on. :)
Anyway, enough of my babble for one night. I'll post again tomorrow...hopefully, with better news - AND an evaluation of the next extended care facility.
Thanks for stopping by...
This was a daily blog about the trials & tribulations my precious Mom dealt with as she fought to recover from a significant medical event.
Welcome to my Blog :)
Thank you for your kindness, compassion, and most importantly your support throughout this difficult journey. Your physical presence wasn't necessarily what we needed; your love, strength and caring was.
IN MOM'S MEMORY, to those of you who sponsored me for the Investor's Group Memory Walk...I walked 5kms on 18 June 2011 in the pouring rain, and cold weather. We were soaked and covered in mud. I raised $1176 to help THEM find a cure BEFORE WE REACH OUR GOLDEN YEARS. To find out if we were fortunate enough to reach our goal this year, go to:
www.alzheimer.ab.ca to check out the numbers.
Congratulations to all who participated in support of those who can no longer do so themselves. This disease could affect all of us at one point of our lives or another. The next time someone approaches you, wondering if you'll sponsor them, consider saying yes because it could be YOU or someone you love facing this devastating disease. Don't wait until it's too late.
IN MOM'S MEMORY, to those of you who sponsored me for the Investor's Group Memory Walk...I walked 5kms on 18 June 2011 in the pouring rain, and cold weather. We were soaked and covered in mud. I raised $1176 to help THEM find a cure BEFORE WE REACH OUR GOLDEN YEARS. To find out if we were fortunate enough to reach our goal this year, go to:
www.alzheimer.ab.ca to check out the numbers.
Congratulations to all who participated in support of those who can no longer do so themselves. This disease could affect all of us at one point of our lives or another. The next time someone approaches you, wondering if you'll sponsor them, consider saying yes because it could be YOU or someone you love facing this devastating disease. Don't wait until it's too late.
Sounds like it is a good thing that age is moving. She will be better off then in the hospital!!!! Poor Mommy. Nice of that lady to tell you to go away...LOL but she is right, you need a break!!!! I am so looking forward to coming up next weekend to visit. Sorry been out of touch.....
ReplyDelete